Saturday, July 05, 2008

I am surprised...wait, no that's not it...ambivalent about the recent graffiti that appeared in Wauna. As I was crossing the bridge into Waunaland, I noticed the following sign had been modified:


Sadly, my first thought was that it was a tribute to ME and my great blog. HA! (Some of you might remember that I go by "Mara" as well as "Waunalifegal". Really.) Then I gave it a little more thought.

Wait. What would the average paramecium-brained tagster find funny about spray painting the word "Marra" (Obviously spelled wrong if they were referring to me) above the word "Wauna". It took me a few more bridge crossings to get the pun. I never even gave a thought to the fact that some might take this whole Wauna thought towards the pharmaceutical end of things. Color me naive.

So here's some trivia for you nasty little pranksters, "In September 14, 1889, 'Wauna' was chosen as the new plat name by an early post mistress, Mary Frances White, for a Native American term for 'mighty water', rather than the original plat name of 'Springfield' because of all the other Springfields to be found in Washington State."

Go Mary Frances! I'll bet you money that she, unlike other more recent KP natives, never dabbled in pharmaceuticals!

No comments: